top of page



The Cathedral College girls’ team gathered around their injured teammate on a medical stretcher for a rousing rendition of their team song after claiming the Rockhampton school’s first Confraternity Shield today.

Harmonie Fauid suffered a leg injury during a stirring 14-10 Shield final win over St Patrick’s College, Mackay and could not complete the match. She was receiving medical care while her TCC teammates fended off a comeback from a brave St Patrick’s team in front of a large crowd at St Laurence’s playing fields at Runcorn.

The TCC team ran to their injured player to celebrate the win, which was the second Confraternity Shield final for girls following last year’s inaugural decider in Mackay. This carnival featured 12 teams in the girls’ division and 52 boys’ teams from Catholic and Independent schools across Queensland.

Confraternity Carnival is conducted by Queensland Independent Secondary Schools Rugby League and supported by CQ University as major sponsor.

A 10-all deadlock in the girls’ final was broken with seven minutes remaining when player of the carnival Caitlin Tanner scooted down the short side and passed to Mackayla Oakley for a try that will be celebrated at TCC. The College joined Confraternity Carnival 30 years ago and forged a strong reputation in the boys’ competition, including two grand final appearances, without claiming the Shield.

The girls’ team ended that drought today but only after a dramatic match that had to be moved to another field as medical assistance was provided to Fauid.

TCC began in style when fullback Zoe Robson sliced through the St Patrick’s defence for a 60-metre run and a 6-0 lead. In the 12th minute, Cadence Lee was on the end of a series of passes to the left that pushed TCC 10-0 lead. But the change of field sparked a renewal for a St Patrick’s team desperate to claim a Shield that eluded them in front of a home crowd last year in a grand final loss to Marymount College, Burleigh Waters.

The final was decided by a TCC defensive wall with 10 minutes remaining that snuffed out St Patrick’s attack. The Mackay team camped in TCC territory after receiving a fifth tackle-penalty 40 metres out from the tryline which was followed by another penalty and then a six-again call late in the tackle count.

But TCC repelled the attack before moving downfield for Oakley’s try.

TCC coach Scott Peters, who manages a cattle station outside Rockhampton, praised the toughness of his team and their ability to soldier on without their impressive forward Fauid.

“This is a massive result for our girls and for the College,” Peters said. “And it’s a positive for Central Queensland rugby league and all of the history that we have there. “We knew this would be a tough game because St Patrick’s have played so well and that’s how the game turned out.”

Fauid was recognised for her excellent carnival with selection in the Confraternity Carnivals girls’ honorary team alongside Tanner, Robson and forward Shayla Powell.


bottom of page